Tuesday, March 24, 2009

THANK YOU!!

This is an amazing video that a friend shared with me! It had me in tears and made me feel so grateful and proud to be an American. We can't all serve in the military, but it made me think....what am I doing to help make this beautiful country of ours better? These men and women are willing to give their lives for my freedom....what am I willing to give?
I grew up in a military family. My father served in the Army for over 30 years and then retired. I couldn't be prouder of him. Thankfully, my father never had to actually fight in combat, but my father-in-law did serve in Vietnam. It makes me sick to think of the way that these soldiers were treated upon their return. I hope that we, as a country, have learned from past mistakes. These men and women that serve our country are nothing short of heroes to me (and I do not use that term lightly). They are literally willing to die for you and me! Would you be that willing? All they ask of us is our love and support...is that really too much to ask?
Through my father's example, I learned a sense of patriotism that is hard to put into words! I love this country. I love the freedoms that I am able to enjoy. I love the men and women who have fought and who continue to fight to protect my rights and freedoms.
I grew up in Germany and after I moved back here to the US, I had a big culture shock! One of the biggest shocks to me was this....in Germany before every movie that is played in a theater, the NATIONAL ANTHEM is played. Everyone stands up (out of respect), puts their hands over their heart or salutes the flag. It is so quiet you could hear a pin drop (other than the music). When I went to my first movie here in the US, I was so confused. The movie started with no National Anthem???? I couldn't understand why we did not do that here. What a beautiful experience that all of these people living in this country are missing out on. I still think about that EVERY time I go to a movie.
Whether you agree with the war or not, we should all support our troops! Be grateful to these soldiers and their families for the sacrifices they are making on our behalf. Don't forget the soldiers serving here at home either. They may not be on the front line, but they are willing.
I pray that each one of them can find peace through these difficult times and I pray for their safe return! Thank you to each and every member of our Armed Forces that has ever served this beautiful country! Thank you for defending my freedoms! You have my eternal gratitude!
p.s. Next time you see someone in military uniform, try taking a moment to go up to them and personally thank them!
Go ahead...I DARE YOU to try it!!

2 comments:

mom Tolmanb said...

Thank you Cheri!

OMA AND OPA said...

That was great! We DO need to support them and love them. That was a hard one to listen to and watch. Brought back some old memories of VN and dad.
Love ya, thanks for the reminder.
Mom